All invited speakers’ videos will have closed-captioning accompanied by a full transcript.
Poster speakers will be required to have screen-reader friendly posters that include full image descriptions.
On the day of the conference, the sessions will feature live-captioning for video chats, provided by the virtual meeting software or third-party apps (TBD). All audio questions will be transcribed into the text chat; all text questions will be read aloud. Attendees can also submit questions in advance using contact forms on each session page. Two moderators will be active throughout the day to assist with needs and to control screen-sharing and other security issues.
We ask that in order to continue to keep this conference accessible, you:
- Describe any images you share
- Mute your microphone when you are not speaking
- Respect the speakers and your fellow attendees and their needs
If you have any concerns, please contact us.
Code of conduct
We aim to foster a productive, collaborative experience at SSiC in the spirit of liberation. We do not tolerate the following:
- Screen-shotting or screen-recording at any point of the conference without the expressed permission from video or poster speakers
- Spam in chat windows or contact forms, including reposting the same word/content repeatedly in order to disrupt the conversation
- Harassment, bullying, and intimidation
We have a zero-tolerance policy for harassment and bullying, which we define as:
- Negative comments about race/ethnicity, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, physical appearance, citizenship, or other protected categories
- Intimidation or threats, including of the moderators
- Misusing screen-sharing capabilities
- Sharing images especially to threaten or sexually harass
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Threatening or other endangerment of minors
- Any activity meant to convey or cultivate hostility
- Ad hominem insults or other attacks
- Encouraging the above behaviour
Please also avoid the following:
- Interrupting speakers and fellow attendees
- Use of any GIFs but especially flashing GIFs in the chat
If you violate the code of conduct we retain the right to make you leave the session and you will not be permitted to rejoin.
We welcome reports of harassment through our contact form, which will connect you directly to both Divya and Ellie. All reports will be kept confidential and may be done anonymously.
This code of conduct is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (BY-NC-SA) license, meaning others can remix, adapt, and build upon it non-commercially as long as they credit us and license their creations under identical terms. This license does not permit the direct copy and distribution of this code. We recommend that you produce a code tailored to the needs of your event. If you draw from our intellectual work to create your own, please cite our work: Divya M. Persaud and Eleanor S. Armstrong, Space Science in Context, 2020.